Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Third Time is the Charm?

Knitalongs and I have not done well together. My first attempt was the Sweaters from Camp knitalong. I really never got through the cast-on. My life was too busy for a sweater that I wasn't going to be able to knit a single row in a night. I did manage to teach myself the i-cord cast-on for it. I really liked the way that looked, but I didn't connect that if knit stitches aren't square, there wasn't going to be a one-to-one relationship between the i-cord and the number of stitches to cast on. I should have caught on when it looked big enough, but well... I went ahead and cast on exactly the number of stitches I needed. My husband and I could have both fit in the resulting sweater and rattled around. That was pretty much the end of that. It's packed away. I still want to knit it, but the KAL is over and I think I need more practice.

So, I moved on to the Beadwork KAL. It is a beautiful sweater with no color work. The group was really nice and supportive. Even though I was feeling guilty about my poor vertical stripes pullover, I really did want to knit Beadwork. All I needed was a pattern and yarn. I made some efforts to find a pattern, but I wasn't going to bid an outlandish amount for it on ebay. I went to Rhinebeck with the intention of buying yarn if I found the right thing, but I'm not sure I knew what I was looking for so I left without it. I still haven't scored a pattern by reasonable search methods. I'm sure that I will someday and then I will knit the cardigan. But I won't be knitting it for the KAL because that is winding down.

So I'm signed up for my third one: The madness that has become Mystery Stole 3. Unlike the other two, a lace stole is something which I've successfully completed before. And I know that I really will use a white lace stole when cruising around in the Model T. I really just checked into the group to watch, but I was sucked in.

I had some white Skacel Merino Laceweight in my miniature stash. I ordered lovely, crystal, triangular beads from Earth Faire (a really great vendor). I'm ready to start. I have a set of Lantern Moon ebony needles in size 4 and Addi Turbo lace needles in sizes 3 and 4 so I have choices. I need to wind my yarn without tangling it (that's a scary thought) and swatch. And find a better place to take photos.

And maybe, just maybe, this one will be the charm. I really want a lace stole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home